Orphanage Home Makeover
Disclaimer: Al Ansaar Foundation will be the facilitator between the Orphanage and Doners for any upgrades/enhancements, however the Orphanage will accept all responsibility to ensure that all upgrades/funds will be utilised solely for the benefit of the orphans and absolves the Al Ansaar Foundation and/or Donors from any liability due to upgrades/enhancements.
Orphanage Identification Strategy:
- Identify a legitimate orphanage within 30km from Durban in order to be able to do random, announced and unannounced site visits periodically
- The orphanage must be registered as a non-profit organisation
- The orphanage must be deserving of the appropriate and applicable upgrades in terms of structure, facilities, equipment etc
- The persons responsible for running and operating the orphanage must have credible references.
- The Children living at the orphanage will be interviewed independently about their living conditions and treatment at the orphanage
The following Orphanage has been selected by the Al Ansaar Foundation following a site visit by Shiraz Moolla and Yaseen Khan, as well as confirmation from social workers that have been to the home and had dealings with the liaison, Hafez Iqbal.
To the best of our knowledge, the stated orphanage has met the above mentioned Strategic Requirements (and Allah Knows Best)
Located, in Welbedecht, outskirts of Chatsworth, Durban, KZN
Currently occupied by approximately 35 persons with ages ranging from 1year 7months to 23years old
The home takes in children that have allegedly been abused by family members or come from broken homes
Aside from the occupants of the orphanage, the Home also opens its doors to the community in terms of feeding schemes etc
Current Infrastructure/ layout
The premises currently has 3 x brick/block structures.
S1 – Current housing structure of orphans
S2 – Incomplete structure
S3 – Trustees Home
S4 – Proposed construction of Madrassah/Musallah Area/Nursery
Herein after Referred to S1, S2, S3, S4
Renovations are required on S1 and S2 as they will house the children.
S1- The aim for S1 is to convert this to housing the males and add a play/seating/entertainment section
Approx. 35 persons -Mix of male and female (currently all living in S1)
Bathroom: There is only 1 bathroom and toilet for the occupants
The plan would be to partition off the bathroom from the toilet area to allow privacy and at the same time another person can utilise the facility.
Currently the shower and toilet do not function, as well as the basin leaks.
1 small (approx. 100L) solar geyser from S3 is being utilised for 35 occupants. New solar geysers required
Bunk beds have been donated previously, however still not adequate for the number of children
There are no cupboards or shelving
S2 – Aim for S2 – Housing for Females and Kitchen area (approx. size 7m X 3m)
- Clear out the unwanted items/Obsolete interior diving Walls
- Plaster & Paint
- Add a bathroom (shower, toilet, basin)
- Kitchen area
- Install windows
- Cupboards and shelving
- Extend current structure by 2m to accommodate a Kitchen/Cooking Area
The aim for the yard is to grade / clear all unnecessary items. There are potentially harmful items that are not conducive for children.
The Driveway becomes muddy with rain and ideally should be concreted.
(S4) – Based on Funding
The Wooden Wendy house at the back of the yard should be demolished/relocated, and a new structure should be constructed (S4). This S4 Structure can be utilised as a Madrassa/Prayer room/Nursery School
Play Garden: A grass patch at the front of S1 can be converted to a small play garden with Swings and benches
A plot of land behind the current land/ S4, belonging to the municipality can be purchased. This land will be used to expand the orphanage if required but more so will be utilised for Self Sustaining planting of Crop that could generate revenue for the orphanage.
Requirements from Donors / Sponsors
- Structural upgrades (land and buildings) – 1 Contractor will be responsible for all upgrades thus accountable. Exact costing to be confirmed, however this will be capped at a maximum of R150,000
- Appliances: Fridge/Freezer, Kettle, Iron, Toaster, Microwave Oven, Washing Machine. (New 4plate stove and oven already generously sponsored)
- Stationery – Writing/coloring books/crayons/pens/exam pads etc.
- Diapers – 2 year old girl and a 1year7month boy require diapers
- Clothing – The orphans do not have much in terms of clothing and shoes. Donations of these items should be of a respectable/ wearable nature. Ages range from 1.5 years to 22 years
- Toys/Play items: sponsorship of toys will play a fundamental role in the development of a child
- Contributions toward monthly expenditure
Average Current Expenditure
|Lunch for school children||1000|
|Fund Raiser/teacher||5000||Usage of public transport to travel to various locations to seek funding|
Summary: God Willing with your assistance we would like to commence with S2 immediately. Once S2 is completed the upgrades on S1 and construction of S4 can commence. In this manner by the end of June /Ramadaan 2017 housing for both males and females will be comfortable with required bathroom and cooking amenities.
Appeals will be made to community members to come forward with the donations of funding, clothing, food items, hampers, toys, diapers and other mentioned items/upgrades.
If ongoing/monthly contributions would like to be made, items could be delivered at Al Ansaar Foundation 207 West Road. Items/deliveries must be clearly stated as KGN ORPHANGE
May the Lord All Mighty open our hearts to the plight of the impoverished. May we be the vessels of bringing dignity to those that are helpless. May we be blessed in this world and the hereafter as the Lord is all Merciful and all knowing.
Please contact Shiraz Moolla on 0749182472/0312081601/ email@example.com as to how you could assist further with this selfless initiative.